Monday 25 February 2008

Just a small town girl...

Hey everyone,

I'm officially back in the 'Wonderland' and I'm already missing home. I had such a great weekend, it was amazing to see my family and some friends. I'm just gutted I couldn't stay for longer and see more people.

I got back Friday night after what felt like forever travelling. That is why my Samsung mp3 player never leaves my side during travel time. It was my saviour! I got home just in time to see my niece Jayden. Only a month had passed since the last time I saw her and already she's changed. She is definately a little music tot, there is no question! Not even two years old and she can't live without the variety of music channels Sky has to offer. Next time I'm back home, I'll video her dancing away to the songs that she loves. It's amazing though how music can make an impact, even at that age.

Saturday morning and afternoon were already mapped out. My dad and I were set to travel all over to watch my two brothers for their football teams. Alex, my older brother, won 3-0 and scored the first. Alan, my younger brother, won 4-2 and played a beautiful ball through to set up the third. You can't beat that, two wins and a car journey full with nothing but great tunes. I'll admit, sometimes my dad's taste in music is something that needs to be questioned but every so often he gets it right. My favourite track on my dad's Saturday mixed tape has to be 'Don't Stop Believin' by Journey. A musical classic and one of those songs that no matter what the circumstance, it will always get you smiling. Dad, this one is for you!



I spent Saturday night with a few close friends at my local which unfortunately can often be a 'hit or miss' when it comes to good quality music. There are the great nights where the music is new and up-to-date and then there are the nights that the bands never seem to get it right. At first I thought it was one of the 'miss' nights when I saw a band on stage. To my surprise however, even though some of the songs played were by no means 'up-to -date', at the same time were legendary in their own right. I believe this is where my dad's influence comes into play. Good quality 80s music from Queen, Starship, A-Ha, Belinda Carlisle, The Human League etc along with the usual weekend music from Basshunter, Cascada, Rihanna, Girls Aloud etc. All in all, it was a good selection of music through the ages and I was probably one of the many few under 20 that sang along with the 'golden oldies', but I was too proud to let that bother me. One of my childhood favourites and the song that reminds me most of my parents: Nothing's gonna stop us now by Starship, theme to the movie The Mannequin. It's a typical 80s power ballad with that 'feel good' factor.



Listen : Love : Repeat





Listen, love and repeat. Three words that basically describe this band. I've grown up with the members of So Long Lisa so basically their music has travelled the distance with me. You could describe me as the stereotypical groupie if you must, but I'm just a best friend who rather likes the music. Their demo, 'A Stereo Goodbye' should hopefully be with us very soon and well, I'm actually excited about it. Their music has evolved so much over the years that as soon as I hear a new song, it always seems to top the last.



The last time I heard them play was September so obviously I was happy to get the opportunity to gatecrash their practice on Sunday. The songs may have changed but the 'feel' to the music is still the same. I've missed being cooped up in that tiny practice room whilst slowly losing my hearing. It was all worth it back then and still worth it now. I love the feeling I get when I hear a new song. It gives me that belief that someday they'll get somewhere, something I wish for them. Three guys who care about nothing else, just the music. The music is pure, something all local bands have.



"We found music to be a great excuse to have fun and kid ourselves that we were doing something important. We play the music that we love and don't hate the music that we play." - SLL


The band consists of three members; Mark Andrew [vocals, guitar], Simon Allen [vocals, bass] and Andrew Shields [drums]. Check them out on their myspace page and their bebo page, which includes all their latest songs, including their new acoustic set. (Registering is not required to check out these pages) You can also check out my Photobucket account for more photos from their practice and also past gigs.
I now would like to leave you with a video I recorded at their practice. It is one of their new songs entitled 'Blush&Ink'. I apologise for the muffled sound. As you can imagine, with such a small practice room there was a lot of sound.

I do recommend checking out their band pages for better quality songs and videos. But otherwise, I hope you enjoy.

No comments: