Monday 3 March 2008

Youtube's finest

This is perhaps a little off-track compared to your normal run-of-the-mill mainstream artists but I believe that what I've stumbled upon is the future.

Well, if truth be told, I didn't stumble upon anything. It was more of a push in the right direction by a classmate. Andrew sent me a youtube link of this guy, telling me it would be great to post on my blog. Normally I don't believe a word that comes out of Andrew Lisgo's mouth, I just assumed it to be a joke. Turns out Andrew is a genius (who would have thought) as the video he sent me is probably the best thing I've seen in ages.

Introducing to you all the amazing talent that is Nick Pitera. When I first listened to his video that Andrew sent, I'll admit in saying I died of laughter. I just never expected what I was about to hear! But as I went through the videos on his youtube user account, I actually realised that he has a brilliant voice. I really recommend you check more of his work, you'll be amazed. You can also check out his myspace page. This guy seems to have a lot of fans by posting his songs on youtube and it seems to be paying off. Anyway, here is the video Andrew sent me. It's Nick's version of A whole new world from the Aladdin movie.





After the sensation that was Nick Pitera, it got me thinking. I started scanning through the related results (as you do) and came across a few other aspiring artists who have also found youtube a great way of getting their music across.


This next woman has become a 'micro-celebrity' because of her youtube success. She has had over 700,000 views on her videos already and that count is increasing daily. Her name is Diana Rein. Her music has a kind of blues/country feel but it's her covers that are amazing. She has taken some amazing songs and made them her own. You can check her out on her youtube page, along with her website and myspace page. But here is my favourite video of hers. It is a total arrangement of Stronger by Kanye West. She has created a melody to go with it and in my opinion, I think it is great. I hope you enjoy.





My next video is of a 22 year old called Ricardo Munoz. This guy lives in Holland and is now a singer/song writer. Check out his youtube page and his myspace. He has a lot of his own material but I quite like his cover of Apologise by One Republic. He's released this version in Holland. This is the official released video for it.





These last two videos are of just two guys who aren't necessarily out to make it as recording artists but just like the covers they are singing. The first guy is called Phil Schawel, check out his youtube page and his myspace. This guy is actually quite popular, having nearly 700 subscribers on youtube. What I like about him is that he has this amazingly unique voice. He's covered quite a few of my favourite songs but You and Me by Lifehouse has to be my favourite because his voice grabs the emotion of the song.




Finally, I'm pretty sure this guy is from Northern Ireland as his accent is quite like mine. He hasn't posted his name on his youtube page, but he's 21 and definately from the UK. All of his covers are really good and also quite varied. I thought I'd post up this one though as I've already mentioned it to Lisa Ovenden. This is a cover of New Shoes by Paulo Nutini.




Overall, it's amazing how many people watch people's videos like this and become fans. If the artists are lucky, it could make their career. But if not, at least they are sharing their talents with people who appreciate it. In a world where very few talented artists get the chance to break through into the music scene, is Youtube the future in finding such hidden talents?!

I thought I'd jump on the Youtube generation bandwagon and post a few videos of my own. Watching the previous artists, I can say my covers lack serious quality... and a full sized guitar. But I'm having a laugh I guess. I'm not going to be playing gigs anytime soon, so playing to an online audience seemed easier and I've actually gained a few subscribers/fans of my own! Check out my youtube page for some other videos I've uploaded, but I'll leave you with a random chosen one. I particularly love this song because it's one of my Mum's favourites. This is my cover of Angel by Sarah McLachlan. (Apologises for the bad sound quality.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Angie it's Pixxyy had to say your version of Angel is fabby xoxo
(ha the xoxo must be the gossip girl effect!)

A Lisgo said...

enjoyed listening to you sing ange, probably cos it was a westlife song!!! who would of thought it eh? andrew lisgo is a genius and angela mary telford can sing!